[GIT,PULL] u-boot-uniphier/master

Message ID CAK7LNAStRQ2XTKQeGVp1RF3D3pVCeD43uZuJiwwbYDZUTTOmCw@mail.gmail.com
State New
Headers show
Series
  • [GIT,PULL] u-boot-uniphier/master
Related show

Pull-request

git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

Message

Masahiro Yamada April 23, 2018, 4:14 p.m.
Hi Tom,

I ended up with fixing some image size problems
to get my board (uniphier_v7_defconfig) back working.

Please pull a little more.



The following changes since commit 275d80a4c2fb63890f3f4c16b7ad481064e650a0:

  Merge git://git.denx.de/u-boot-usb (2018-04-22 09:30:36 -0400)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

for you to fetch changes up to 3ce5b1a8d86d46f4a390e31e52b7ba441fdb229e:

  ARM: uniphier: move SPL stack address (2018-04-24 00:35:35 +0900)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Masahiro Yamada (7):
      ARM: uniphier: increase CONFIG_SYS_MONITOR_LEN
      mmc: tmio: move clk_enable() to each driver's probe function
      mmc: uniphier-sd: skip clock set-up for SPL
      ARM: dts: uniphier: drop u-boot, dm-pre-reloc from SD/eMMC clock node
      clk: uniphier: disable SPL_CLK
      ARM: uniphier: select a correct mmc device before flashing images
      ARM: uniphier: move SPL stack address

 arch/arm/dts/uniphier-v7-u-boot.dtsi | 16 ----------------
 drivers/clk/uniphier/Kconfig         |  1 -
 drivers/mmc/renesas-sdhi.c           | 23 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/mmc/tmio-common.c            | 22 ----------------------
 drivers/mmc/uniphier-sd.c            | 29 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/configs/uniphier.h           |  5 +++--
 6 files changed, 55 insertions(+), 41 deletions(-)

Comments

Tom Rini April 23, 2018, 8:17 p.m. | #1
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 01:14:30AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

> Hi Tom,

> 

> I ended up with fixing some image size problems

> to get my board (uniphier_v7_defconfig) back working.

> 

> Please pull a little more.

> 

> 

> 

> The following changes since commit 275d80a4c2fb63890f3f4c16b7ad481064e650a0:

> 

>   Merge git://git.denx.de/u-boot-usb (2018-04-22 09:30:36 -0400)

> 

> are available in the git repository at:

> 

>   git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

> 

> for you to fetch changes up to 3ce5b1a8d86d46f4a390e31e52b7ba441fdb229e:

> 

>   ARM: uniphier: move SPL stack address (2018-04-24 00:35:35 +0900)

> 


Applied to u-boot/master.

And, can you perhaps leverage CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE so that in the future
it becomes a build-time failure when the size exceeds the limit (and I
can prod whomever is adding more code growth)?  Thanks!

-- 
Tom
Masahiro Yamada April 24, 2018, 12:24 a.m. | #2
2018-04-24 5:17 GMT+09:00 Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com>:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 01:14:30AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> I ended up with fixing some image size problems
>> to get my board (uniphier_v7_defconfig) back working.
>>
>> Please pull a little more.
>>
>>
>>
>> The following changes since commit 275d80a4c2fb63890f3f4c16b7ad481064e650a0:
>>
>>   Merge git://git.denx.de/u-boot-usb (2018-04-22 09:30:36 -0400)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to 3ce5b1a8d86d46f4a390e31e52b7ba441fdb229e:
>>
>>   ARM: uniphier: move SPL stack address (2018-04-24 00:35:35 +0900)
>>
>
> Applied to u-boot/master.
>
> And, can you perhaps leverage CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE so that in the future
> it becomes a build-time failure when the size exceeds the limit (and I
> can prod whomever is adding more code growth)?  Thanks!


I already have it in include/config/uniphier.h


#define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT   0x10000
#define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE        0x10000


Both of them work in the linker script
(arch/arm/cpu/u-boot-spl.lds)

This check is not precise for CONFIG_SPL_OF_CONTROL.

It is true that u-boot-spl-nodtb.bin is limited to 64KB,
but I need to check the size of u-boot-spl.bin
(SPL image with DTB appended).


Assuming u-boot-spl.dtb is roughly 2.5 KB,
I could do


/* max size 64KB - DTB 2.5KB = 61.5KB */
#define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT   0xf600

But, this is not precise, and looks ugly.


Maybe, the CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT check
should be moved to scripts/Makefile.spl
Tom Rini April 24, 2018, 12:34 a.m. | #3
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:24:41AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> 2018-04-24 5:17 GMT+09:00 Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com>:

> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 01:14:30AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

> >

> >> Hi Tom,

> >>

> >> I ended up with fixing some image size problems

> >> to get my board (uniphier_v7_defconfig) back working.

> >>

> >> Please pull a little more.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> The following changes since commit 275d80a4c2fb63890f3f4c16b7ad481064e650a0:

> >>

> >>   Merge git://git.denx.de/u-boot-usb (2018-04-22 09:30:36 -0400)

> >>

> >> are available in the git repository at:

> >>

> >>   git://git.denx.de/u-boot-uniphier.git master

> >>

> >> for you to fetch changes up to 3ce5b1a8d86d46f4a390e31e52b7ba441fdb229e:

> >>

> >>   ARM: uniphier: move SPL stack address (2018-04-24 00:35:35 +0900)

> >>

> >

> > Applied to u-boot/master.

> >

> > And, can you perhaps leverage CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE so that in the future

> > it becomes a build-time failure when the size exceeds the limit (and I

> > can prod whomever is adding more code growth)?  Thanks!

> 

> 

> I already have it in include/config/uniphier.h

> 

> 

> #define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT   0x10000

> #define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE        0x10000

> 

> 

> Both of them work in the linker script

> (arch/arm/cpu/u-boot-spl.lds)

> 

> This check is not precise for CONFIG_SPL_OF_CONTROL.

> 

> It is true that u-boot-spl-nodtb.bin is limited to 64KB,

> but I need to check the size of u-boot-spl.bin

> (SPL image with DTB appended).

> 

> 

> Assuming u-boot-spl.dtb is roughly 2.5 KB,

> I could do

> 

> 

> /* max size 64KB - DTB 2.5KB = 61.5KB */

> #define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT   0xf600

> 

> But, this is not precise, and looks ugly.

> 

> 

> Maybe, the CONFIG_SPL_MAX_FOOTPRINT check

> should be moved to scripts/Makefile.spl


Ah.  Yeah, if it makes sense to catch more cases by moving the tests out
of the linker script and into a script, we can go that direction.
Thanks!

-- 
Tom